The Zero Carbon Australia Project (ZCA) is an exciting initiative of Beyond Zero Emissions and the University of Melbourne’s Energy Research Institute. The Project is developing a roadmap for the transition to a decarbonised Australian economy on a decadal timescale. The latest and most credible science tells us that such a transition is necessary to maintain a safe climate.
The ZCA Project will complete six plans over three years. These Plans draw on the enormous wealth of knowledge, experience and expertise in the community and together will represent a comprehensive blueprint for a zero carbon future in Australia.
The Project’s guiding principles are:
- Australia’s energy is provided entirely from renewable sources at the end of the transition period.
- All technological solutions employed are from proven and scaleable technology which is commercially available.
- The security and reliability of Australia’s energy supply is maintained or enhanced by the transition.
- Food and water security are maintained or enhanced by the transition.
- The high standard of living currently enjoyed by Australians is maintained or enhanced by the transition.
- Social equity is maintained or enhanced by the transition.
- Other environmental indices are maintained or enhanced by the transition.
For more information see